Slider

New York City Travel Diary | 2018

Tuesday, September 11, 2018


My love for the city started back when I was 12 years old, walking the streets with my dad. Even back then the hustle and bustle of the big apple had me so intrigued. So every chance I get to say yes to New York, I do. It's practically a piece of me that I can't/won't ever get away from. 

Going with just friends is such a fabulous experience. And we picked the most beautiful weekend to go.


It was a thursday-sunday mini vaca, and it was everything. 
I decided to fly separately up there (just based on prices) and it was my first time flying solo. Airports, for some reason, just snag my heart. Watching everyone reunite, me making up stories in my head that they havent seen each other in months, me tearing up watching the epic hugs, love it. 
So I thought it'd be kind of fun to just fly solo.. have me time at the airport at 5 in the morning. 
It's a sense of independence, & responsibility, so I'm all for it. (I like to think im responsible even tho I know im certainly not)

After I sat at the Newark, NJ airport for 4 hours with my book and laptop... pigeons coming and going, people watching harder than I ever have...the girlies arrive and its literally so great from there. 

This NY trip is by far the best new york i've ever had. Just solely based on the people this time.... everyone...was so....happy. Which in my past experiences?? Whats happy. Everyone was always on a mission with their game face on. 
but anyway....
Our uber dirver....from the airport...... bought me…a large iced coffee. 
I’ll be forever grateful for his courageous, heroic actions.

We got in the car and first thing he says, “Do you ladies drink coffee?” So I reply “only with breakfast lunch and dinner lol. So he’s like “okay we’ll make a little pit stop.” (with his heavy foreign accent) At first I thought he was kidding, but nope nope. When we got into the city he pulled the car to the side, well “side” aka middle of the road cause #newyork, and hes like how do you like your coffee. And I’m like wait, are you planning to buy me my coffee??? And hes like! “of course! I make good money I want to treat you guys!” (again, in the thickest foreign accent lol) So shoot I wasn’t about to say no. He comes out with a large iced 7/11 vanilla coffee with my friends 2 drinks as well 😭
#blessed 😭
Still shook by that tbh. I don't think I'll ever enjoy a coffee given to me by my uber driver again..

So after that, we get to our little Airbnb on the upper east side, living my most gossip girl life. 
The upper east side was way more quiet, and neighborly than I'd imagine.. I wasn't mad about it. But of course, it got me in the mind set, of moving my butt out there. As always.
Every time I visit New York, I tell myself, and prob everyone around me, "I’m so moving here. It’ll happen. I love it way too much."
Like just give me the tiniest little 1 bedroom connected with the kitchen and quite possible potty room right there too, and I’ll be happy. 

Day 1, we ate at this little burger place right around the block called Bareburger. It was so good. Other than the fact the food was bomb, the men in the next booth over from us were so cool and friendly. Which from my previous experiences in the city, NEVER HAPPENS. So I’m not kidding when I say this trip, the people, were everything. But anyway, they joked with us about the service cause we kept trying to flag down the waiter to get the bill and they said they had to do the same thing. But we got to chit chattin, they’ve lived in the area most of their lives so they gave us recommendations on what to do and see. And they were saying how the other night they went out to this “speak easy” right around the block & it was pretty cool. My dumb self asked my friends later what the crap was a speak easy cause yo girl never been cool enough to go to one. So how would I know what one is?? lol. Turns out its a hidden secret area/bar behind a hidden closed door.
Like you needed a password and everything. The men had a dress code to dress all snazzy and the women weren’t allowed to wear jeans. Sneakers were forbidden lol. But this place….was the coolest….place ever.

Drinks…fab. Too fab. 
 So fab I made a disaster and got literally chocolate wasted and spilled my chunky monkey filled with rum drink everywhere lol. Our waiter was so funny and chill. He gave us a free drink… and just…another heroic figure in my New York adventure.
Safe to say, night 1 was a success.

Day 2 consisted of lots of walking. 
 We ventured out to Central Park and explored the Flatiron district. Made cute little nail appointment at 2:00. -Highly suggest.

Had some pizza in the street, explored some more and then decided to go back to our place to get ready for top of the rock. 
One word.

Epic. 

There are no words for my sky-scraping, new york loving self. The views…magic. Totes worth the money. 
Later we had dinner in times square at this super cool Mexican place. I was actually surprised how bommmmmmmmb the food was. The guac was just as divine as the margs. 
Day 3 we woke up butt crack of dawn, to walk/see the Brooklyn bridge.
This was my first time actually walking it instead of admiring it from afar.. so worth waking up so early.. less people. #protip

We then did some shopping in Soho, spent lil too much, but justifiable 'cause soho....

After Soho, we ventured over to Chelsea. 
 Love. Chelsea. So Artsy, so cute.
Walked the high line, The little logo is a maple leaf, but I’m just going to continue to think its a weed leaf. Makes better sense in my book.

After that we took the subway over to Rockefeller center, did some touristy shopping,
and then found the love sign so obvi had to take pic.
 But that night… was my f a v o r i t e. 
We had BOMB Asian food (#noodles) and then went to a rooftop bar in the flatiron district. 230 5th.

We were walking up it and saw the long ass line to get in. The busser saw us and he looked at us and was like “three?” And let us in! Moved the little guard railing thing, and let us skip the line! Felt…..way too cool. And inside, holy shit, was even more cool. It was way too legit. 
On the rooftop, we made friends with these 3 guys and moral of the story, Taylor got one of their phone numbers. It was a blast. 
Sadly on day 4, it was our last day.
Briana and Taylor are the morning birds and woke up early and ventured central park again and rode bikes. Yo girl slept in lol. I prob needed it to recoup from my 6 am flight…3 days ago lol. At least I got my beauty sleep, took my time getting ready and left the apartment to venture around the block before meeting up with Bri + Tay for our last brunch. Of course on my mini venture, had to stop at Starbucks & on the way back I met Daniel. A weed selling nice man with a dog. We had a good convo for about 2 blocks. Which is a lot of small talk lol.
But I’m telling ya, one day, I will be living in the city. Whether that be for the summer, or a month internship, its happening. 
Till next time ny.
Xox. s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan